Conference hall of ISMA, 60 Lenina ave., KharkivView Larger Map
There is a number of hotels in Kharkiv, but you may be interested in apartments rent as a cheaper alternative:
Please contact us if you have any difficulties finding the best place to stay in Kharkiv.
Want to discover Kharkiv city? Check out some highlights by Oleg Finger.
Kharkiv was founded in 1656 as a military stronghold to protect Russia's southern marchlands. The part of old kremlin wall survived. The center of a region of fertile soils and rapid colonization in the 18th century, Kharkiv quickly developed important trade and handicraft manufactures and became a seat of provincial government in 1732.
After the Russian Revolution of 1917 and the establishment of Ukrainian S.S.R., Kharkiv city received the status of its first capital but lost this function to Kiev in 1934.
Present day Kharkiv retains its role as one of the most important communications, cultural and educational centers of Ukraine.
The monastery is the oldest building in the city. In the 17th century it was the part of fortifications system of Kharkiv fortress.
The bell tower of the Intercession Cathedral (1689) has the form of defensive tower. On the territory there are Ozeryanskaya Church (1896), bishop's house, deanery and the house with cells and refectory.
This tall and slender church in the Ukrainian Baroque style was built in the center of the University hill on the site of the old cathedral of 1688. The bell tower with the clock built by architects E. Vasiliev and A. Tonne is the tallest building in the city (89 meters).
Due to the placement of the windows, the church looks like the palace. In Soviet times the church was closed. In 1986, it was reopened as House of Organ and Chamber Music. Today the building is partially returned to the Orthodox Church.
The church in honor of the Holy Martyr and Healer Panteleimon was founded in 1882. The church was constructed in Russian-Byzantine style.
In 1930 the church was closed; bell tower, cupola, and decorative turrets were dismantled. The restoration work was completed in 1999.
The complex of buildings of the House of State Industry was constructed on the initiative of Felix Dzerzhinsky. Gosprom became the basis of the new administrative center of Kharkiv (the capital of Ukraine at that time). It was the first high-rise concrete construction in the USSR (63 m) built in the style of constructivism.
In 1955 one of the first Soviet television towers (45 m) was installed on the roof. Today the building houses regional government offices and offices of numerous firms. In the 5th entrance there is a museum of Gosprom.
The garden named after Taras Shevchenko is the oldest green area in the center of the city, one of the favorite places of residents and visitors of Kharkiv. The garden was laid down by the founder of Kharkiv University V. Karazin in 1804. On the north side of the park there is a monument to Karazin (1907).
The main entrance to Kharkiv Zoo (1895) is located near the concert hall "Ukraine". Astronomical Observatory (1808) can also be found in the garden. Other monuments: Monument to repressed kobzars, sculpture "Soccer ball", moved from Kiev monument to Archangel Michael, sculpture "Aksakal".
The rotunda of "Mirror Stream" fountain located in Pobedy (Victory) public garden opposite the Opera House is the hallmark of Kharkiv. It was built in 1947 by architect V. Korzh in honor of the victory in the Second World War.
According to legend, the decision to create a square with a fountain was made by the city authorities, after the visit of Soviet leader N. Khrushchev to the city. Khrushchev did not like the view from the window. Initially, the fountain-pavilion was called "Glass Stream". In 2007 fountain was reconstructed.
It is the central square in Kharkiv, one of the largest squares in the world. At the time of construction it was the largest square in Europe (12 hectares).
The square was built in 1926-1928 as the new administrative center of Kharkiv. Various festivals, concerts and fairs are being held on the square.
Aerial cableway is running from the Botanical Garden (Otakar Yarosh Str.) to the Gorky Park (Sumskaya Str.).
The overall length is 1387 m, height - up to 26 m. One way journey takes about 18 minutes. The cableway is open in the warm season of the year.
The museum was founded in 1920. It is housed in a building of former pawn shop, built in 1908.
Four halls of the museum display archaeological excavations of Bronze Age settlements, a set of ancient things from Donets settlement of the 11th-12th centuries, numismatic collections, ethnographic collection, collection of arms, flags, etc. Tanks Mark V (English tank of the First World War) and T-34 (Soviet tank of the Second World War), and three guns can be found on open area of the museum.
The fountain in the form of a cascade is going down the steep hill from Shevchenko Park to Klochkovskaya Street.
The fountain was built on the site of the destroyed pre-war park stairs in 1954. It was opened to the 300th anniversary of the city.