Conference hall of Lviv Polytechnic National University.View Larger Map
There is a number of hotels in Lviv, but you may be interested in apartments rent as a cheaper alternative:
Please contact us if you have any difficulties finding the best place to stay in Lviv.
Want to discover Lviv city? Check out some highlights by Oleg Finger.
Lviv was founded in the mid-13th century by Prince Daniel Romanovich of Galicia, who built the castle on the hill now called Hill of a High Castle.
Lviv settlement was first mentioned in ancient Russian manuscripts in 1256. Lviv was historically the chief center of Galicia, a region now divided between Ukraine and Poland.
Lviv town position controlling east-west routes and passes across the Carpathians was the reason of its stormy history.
Lviv architecture reflects a lot of European styles corresponding to different historical epochs. Lviv wasn't much destroyed during the wars of 20th century. After fires of 1527 and 1556 there were almost no traces of Gothic Lviv, but the following epochs are well presented: Renaissance, baroque, classicism. The historical center of Lviv has a lot of architectural monuments of 14th-17th centuries.
The architectural ensemble of the main shopping area in Lviv began to take shape in the 14th century on the model of European medieval cities. The square is surrounded by 44 houses built at different times and in several styles (Renaissance, Baroque, and Empire).
The elements of Gothic architecture of the 15th-16th centuries are preserved in the basements and ground floors of many houses. Museums, shops and cafes can be found there.
Town Hall building standing in the center of the square is a symbol of the city. The square is almost always full of tourists, especially during the days of numerous festivals and holidays.
One of the most recognizable symbols of Lviv. The main entrance to the building is guarded by two sculptures of lions holding shields with the arms of the city.
The first wooden building of the town hall was constrcuted in 1381 and later it was reconstructed several times. Present building of the town hall was constrcuted in early 19th century.
Since 1939 the building houses the Lviv city council. Guided tours of the building with a visit to the clock tower are available. From the observation deck of the tower (408 steps) you can see one of the best panoramas of the city.
Recently, an old tradition has been renewed — everyday at noon the hymn of the city is sounding from the tower.
Lviv Opera Theater named after S. Krushelnytskaya is considered one of the most beautiful theaters in Europe along with Odesa and Vienna Operas.
The facade is decorated with sculpted figures of "Life" and "Art", the statues of "Glory", "Victory", and "Love". The theater was designed so that the lobby, hallways and stairs were largely illuminated by natural light.
One of the most significant Baroque monuments in Lviv. The cells of the monastery of Dominicans refer to the 16th century. In 1701, Czar Peter I signed a military alliance between Russia and Poland against Sweden here. Up to the 18th century the building of Dominican church was Gothic. In 1792-1798 it was reconstructed.
In Soviet times the church was closed and the building was used as a museum of atheism. Today it is Greek Catholic Church of the Holy Eucharist. The collection of sacred art relics of Lviv museum of religion history is exhibited in the basement. Concerts of organ music are being held on a regular basis.
One of the most beautiful architectural ensembles of Lviv city, the pearl of the Ukrainian baroque. The cathedral is the main shrine of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. The first church on St. Yur Hill in Lviv was founded in the time of the Galicia-Volyn principality.
The present complex was built in 1744-1770 years. The oldest bell in Ukraine (1341) is placed in the bell tower. Since 1998, the Cathedral of St. Yur, along with an ensemble of the historic center of Lviv, is included in UNESCO World Heritage List.
Castle (Prince) hill (413 meters) is located in the central part of Lviv. On the top of the hill a fortified residence of Prince Danylo Galitsky was built in the 13th century. It was named the High Castle, in contrast to the other - the Lower Castle (Citadel). Originally the fortress was built of wood, with earth ramparts.
In 1362 the fortress was rebuilt in stone by Polish King Casimir who conquered the Galicia. In the 19th century the castle was almost completely dismantled. The park "High Castle" and observation point offering the best views of Lviv were arranged on its place. The fragment of the southern wall with loopholes survived. A long staircase leads to the top of the hill.
Fortification, part of the city’s defense system. The first arsenal was built at this place at the beginning of the 15th century. But in 1554 it was demolished and a new two-storey building for manufacture and storage of weapons was constructed. In the 18th century during the Austrian rule the building was used as a prison.
In 1981 the museum "Arsenal" was opened here. The museum has one of the best collections of arms in Ukraine. The museum runs an antique shop.
The most luxurious palace of Lviv was created for Polish magnates Potocki. The style of the palace is similar to French chateaux of the Classical period. The interiors in the style of Louis XVI were preserved.
In Soviet times, the building was used as Wedding Palace. Today it is the Museum of European Art (department of Lviv Art Gallery). The paintings of the 14th-18th centuries from different European countries are presented here. The park of miniature castles is open in the courtyard of Potocki palace.
The first pharmacy in Lviv was opened in 1735 by military pharmacist F. Natorp. Old interior of the sales hall, paintings on the ceiling made by Viennese masters, antique cash registers and scales are preserved.
In other rooms you can see various pharmaceutical devices, reconstructed house of the pharmacist, underground alchemical laboratory. The museum of history of pharmacy was opened here in 1966. More than three thousand exhibits are presented.
The stadium was opened in 2011 in preparation for the European Football Championship Euro-2012. It is one of the newest stadiums in Europe built according to all the requirements of UEFA. The capacity of the stadium is about 35,000.